Hill+Knowlton Strategies is searching for an experienced General Manager for our Ottawa office who will be responsible for the overall financial performance of the office as well as providing senior public affairs and/or public relations counsel to clients. The position is also responsible for marketing, business development, and staff recruitment and development.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is the nation’s leading strategic communications consultancy. Recognized as one of Canada’s Best Workplaces for ten consecutive years, our employees work in a collegial, fast-paced and high performance environment. We offer the opportunity to work with a team of top talent and to share your professional life with others who are committed to being the best. Hill+Knowlton offers exciting work opportunities, a robust professional development program, and competitive compensation and benefits.
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring new business is identified and achieved both for the office and themselves
- Develops and maintains a high profile in the marketplace through networking, marketing and personal thought leadership activities
- Promotes opportunities to involve other company offices in client support
- Leads strategic assignments with key clients based on individual subject matter expertise
- Supports, mentors and coaches team members on best in class client service and solution identification
- Works in collaboration with our Chief Client Officer to support client retention and organic growth
- Creates and executes annual business plan for office that reflects national and global business objectives
- Accountable for office financial performance
- Maintains open-door and transparent management philosophy
- Leads and co-ordinates operations and administration activities within office
- Resolves office issues
- Maintains a commitment to financial and operations compliance personally and within the office
- Promotes and supports national perspectives and activities such as training and launching of new service offerings
Staff Development Activities
- Recruitment, selection and retention of staff for the office
- Provides feedback to direct reports on an ongoing basis
- Counsels direct reports on career development and training
- Ensures office has adequate resources to do the work
- Over 15 years’ experience providing leadership and direction to all staff levels
- Over 15 years’ experience in public affairs and/or public relations, ideally as a consultant
- Excellent marketing and business development skills
- Strong ability to work collaboratively with all executive leaders
- Previous experience working in an agency or client service environment is essential
- Demonstrated ability to think broadly and strategically without losing sight of details
- Demonstrated interpersonal and presentation skills
- Developed management and leadership skills sufficient to lead, motivate and develop others in a matrix structure
- Ability to develop and manage a high-performance team focused on accountability and meeting and exceeding expectations
- Strategic, critical but creative thinker, and ability to develop and implement growth strategies for a business
With nine offices across the country, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada is a leader in both public relations and public affairs. Headquartered in Toronto, the company is the No. 1-rated strategic communications firm in the country. Its experts specialize in corporate communications, content marketing, research and measurement, public affairs, marketing communications, crisis, energy, technology, health care, social and digital communications, financial communications and transactions. The only communications firm to have earned the Canada Order of Excellence for Quality from Excellence Canada, it has been recognized as one of the Best Workplaces in Canada for 11 consecutive years. Its parent company, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Inc., has 86 offices in 47 countries as well as an extensive associate network; and it is a member of WPP (NASDAQ: WPPGY), one of the world’s largest communications services groups.
How to apply
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, indicating the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.